2023 EE BAFTA Film Awards Nominations Announced
All Quiet on the Western Front, The Banshees of Inisherin and Everything Everywhere All At Once top the nominations for the 2023 BAFTA Film Awards.
By Charlie Gardiner
The nominations for this year's BAFTA Film Awards have been announced....
The glitz and glam of the film industry returns to the capital this February for the prestigious British Academy Film Awards. BAFTA 2023 will host an onslaught of talent in the form of performers, filmmakers, showrunners, esteemed guests and avid fans from all corners of the entertainment world.
On Sunday 19 February at the world-famous Royal Festival Hall, the red carpet will be laid and fans will gather to see their favourite stars make their way into the monumental venue to see who will walk away with the prestigious awards. Hosting this year's ceremony will be Spotlight member Richard E. Grant who has been celebrated for his performance work for over 35 years. He will be joined in the new BAFTA studio by TV personality Alison Hammond, whilst the red carpet will be hosted by BBC radio’s Ali Plumb and Vic Hope.
Category standouts throughout the awards include Best British Film, and since being added to the lineup in 2019 after years of waiting, Best Casting. Previous winners include Shayna Markowitz (2019, Joker), Lucy Pardee (2020, Rocks) and Cindy Tolan (2021, West Side Story). The Rising Star Award is another that remains unique to BAFTA, since 2005 the British Academy of Arts recognised an individual who is one to watch. From the early winners James McAvoy (2005), Adam Deacon (2011), Juno Temple (2012) to the more recent years where we saw Spotlight member Michael Ward (2021) take home the coveted award.
This year's nominees for the EE BAFTA Rising Star Awards are:
- Naomi Ackie (I Wanna Dance With Somebody)
- Aimee Lou Wood (Living)
- Daryl McCormack (Good Luck To You, Leo Grande)
- Sheila Atim (The Woman King)
- Emma Mackey (Emily)
This powerful selection of rising stars showcases the diversity and range of performers making their mark on the industry today. All five performers are Spotlight members and alongside their tremendous efforts in film this year, have featured in various television series and stage roles.
The nominee list is full of Spotlight members, as well as all of the Casting Directors nominated in the Casting category. Nominees include the late Simone Bar whose incredible legacy is etched into cinema history thanks to her work on classics such as Inglourious Basterds, Goodbye Lenin and The Grand Budapest Hotel. Spotlight performers nominated include Carey Mulligan, Bill Nighy, Michael Ward and Kerry Condon, among others.
This year’s nominations were hosted by Hayley Attwell and Toheeb Jimoh on 19 January 2023, and without further ado the nominations for the 2023 BAFTAS are…
- All Quiet on the Western Front
- The Banshees of Inisherin
- Everything Everywhere All At Once
Outstanding British Film:
- The Banshees of Inisherin
- Brian and Charles
- Empire of Light
- Good Luck to you, Leo Grande
- Roald Dahl’s Matilda the Musical
- See How They Run
- The Swimmers
- The Wonder
Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer:
- Charlotte Welles (Writer/Director) - Aftersun
- Georgia Oakley (Writer/Director), Hélène Sifre (Producer) - Blue Jean
- Marie Lidén (Director) - Electric Malady
- Katy Brand (Writer) - Good Luck to you, Leo Grande
- Maia Kenworthy (Director) - Rebellion
- Cate Blanchett - Tar
- Viola Davis - The Woman King
- Danielle Deadwyler - Till
- Ana De Armas - Blonde
- Emma Thompson - Good Luck to you, Leo Grande
- Michelle Yeoh - Everything Everywhere All At Once
- Austin Butler - Elvis
- Colin Farrell - The Banshees of Inisherin
- Brendan Fraser - The Whale
- Daryl McCormack - Good Luck to you, Leo Grande
- Paul Mescal - Aftersun
- Bill Nighy - Living
- Angela Bassett - Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
- Hong Chau - The Whale
- Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin
- Dolly De Leon - Triangle of Sadness
- Jamie Lee Curtis - Everything Everywhere All At Once
- Carey Mulligan - She Said
- Brendan Gleeson - The Banshees of Inisherin
- Barry Keoghan - The Banshees of Inisherin
- Ke Huy Quan - Everything Everywhere All At Once
- Eddie Redmayne - The Good Nurse
- Albrecht Shuch - All Quiet on the Western Front
- Michael Ward - Empire of Light
- Lucy Pardee - Aftersun
- Simone Bär - All Quiet on the Western Front
- Nikki Barrett, Denise Chamain - Elvis
- Sarah Halley Finn - Everything Everywhere All At Once
- Pauline Hansson - Triangle of Sadness
Leading the nominees with 14 nominations is All Quiet on the Western Front, The Banshees of Inisherin and Everything Everywhere All At Once both picked up 10 and Elvis has walked away with 9 nominations. The full list of nominees is available to see on the BAFTA website. The BAFTAS will take place on 19th February at the Royal Albert Hall and will be televised on BBC One.